Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Sample essay

Essay 1
English 150 (D01) Jane Doe
Dr Sexton
Sept. 10, 2011
Smart Shopping
I really used to dread grocery shopping. Before I even entered the store I was frustrated from trying to find a parking spot. Once inside, I would wheel a lame grocery cart through the whole store only to find that I couldn’t find half the items on my list. After waiting through a 15 minute line to purchase three items, and an additional five minutes while the only cashier on duty had to make a price check, I was ready to walk out. I haven’t had an experience like that since I started shopping at Save-on-Foods. I like shopping at Save-on-Foods because it is well-laid-out, convenient, and has good customer service.
One of the reasons why I like shopping at Save-on-Foods is that it is a well-laid-out store. To begin with, the store is centrally located between two main streets so there is easy access entering and leaving the parking lot. Another idea that I like is the locked shopping carts. Shoppers pay a quarter to unlock and use a cart but must return it to get their money back. The incentive to get one’s money back results in a lack of stray carts being left in the lot which can damage cars and take up parking spaces. The inside of the store is also well designed. By having extra-wide aisles that are directed one-way, it is so much nicer to be able to maneuver the shopping carts around other shoppers without the worry of a head-on collision. Also, the aisles are well marked so I don’t have to walk in circles trying to find an item.
Another more important reason why I like Save-on-Foods is that it is convenient. One example is the store’s hours; it is open 16 hours a day, seven days a week. I enjoy being able to go out for an evening and pick up any groceries I may need on the way home, without having to

2
race the clock. I also like the fact that it is a one-stop shopping centre. As well as being a grocery store, it also has other conveniences such as: video rentals, dry cleaning, shoe repair, banking machine, hardware, housewares, film developing, bookstore, and pharmacy. Being able to do all my errands in one store saves time and money for gas. In addition, I like the store’s wide selection of products and brands because it saves me from having to go to several stores to find a particular item. Likewise, the overall low prices eliminate time-consuming bargain hunting as well as keeping other competitors’ prices down. The convenience I appreciate the most, however, is the large number of check-outs, with 18 check-outs, the lines go much faster. Also, since the cash registers are all computerized, they read the price right off each item. Therefore, I never have to stand in line waiting for a cashier to do a price check. In addition, the concept of self-bagging is handy because it prevents long line-ups that would usually occur if the cashier had to stop and bag each customer’s items.
The final reason why I enjoy shopping at Save-on-Foods is that I always get good customer service. For instance, I like the fact that I can find the customer service department. It is located right at the store’s entrance. Also located at the entrance of the store are maps, which list each type of item and what aisle I can find it in. In addition, because they have such a large staff, I never have to hunt for someone if I need help. Another service I appreciate is the cleanliness of the store. Every department has a designated staff member that is continually sweeping the floor or ensuring the sanitary handling of the bulk foods. The service I like the most, however, is the guaranteed quality of the products. I know that if any item I purchase is not fresh, I can return it without any questions asked.

I didn’t think I’d ever like grocery shopping until I shopped at Save-on-Foods. I certainly won’t miss those lame grocery carts or the scavenger hunts for missing items. I could recommend to anyone who hates grocery shopping to try Save-on-Foods




No comments: